Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Yes, I'm Really Going to do This!

What am I doing? We have a project for our community class, in nursing school, that is to complete volunteering hours or gather information on resources for under-severed or at risk populations. I am going to be volunteering some time at the San Francisco Food Bank and while on their site, I saw they do an annual hunger challenge - http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5420/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=9056&track=HC11_lb. Always up for a challenge, I decided to do it.

Why? Well it's simple, I 100% don't believe it is possible to eat a healthy diet on $4.72 a day. Some claim you can, and I know I shouldn't be so negative, I just don't see how.

Plan - I plan on creating a menu for the whole week and buying everything in one go. I have $33.04 to spend. Now over the course of a month that's $176 (ish), which is actually not far off what I have in my monthly budget for food ($200), however, I have $100 a week for fun, which includes eating out. So $33.04 for the week will be a challenge for sure. Oh and you aren't allowed to buy alcohol with food stamps, so there goes beer and wine. (insert sad face)

Challenges - I love to workout. I work out most, if not, everyday for at least an hour. I'm also enrolled in bootcamp with my roommate, in the beginning stages of training for my 2012 Ironman and workout with my boyfriend as dates from time to time. I also hate to restrict my food, as I don't think it's healthy mentally for anyone to do that. I eat with my boyfriend probably 4 mights a week, so this will effect him also - but pretty sure he will cope, as this time it's just a week, unlike when I became a vegan for lent.

Advantages - I am a mono-diner who really doesn't care about food! I can eat the same thing over and over again for weeks and really not care. This should help me, but probably wont do much for my health. I force myself to eat a variety of foods now, to ensure I'm getting everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment